Tuesday, February 27, 2007

How did I do???

Okay, so a bit later than i intended, but with the back-patting and glitz of the Oscars over and done with, I can look back at the predictions i made last week to see how well I did. Whilst award ceremonies aren't perhaps the most enthralling of viewing anyway, it has to be said that the Oscar ceremony nearly always plumbs new depths of boredom at various points nearly every year. The same was true here with considerable gaps between the actual awards meaning that the ceremony over ran by quite some margin. Anyway, as a big film fan, I was determined to stay up for most of the proceedings and managed to just about get through it - though it was touch and go. Anyway, if you look back at my thoughts from a week ago, you'll see that I was pretty reasonable in my predictions - accurately predicting 7 of 9 (somewhat strange that i'm watching 'Star Trek: Voyager' right now) categories.

My overall thoughts were generally positive - I feel that the people who deserved to win did so (particularly Helen Mirren) and that Martin Scorsee got his long overdue award (which he really should've got back in 1991). Of the five films up for Best Picture, it was pretty much a clear cut thing that 'The Departed' was going to win - it is certainly a very good film indeed (if rather gory). I was rather saddened that 'Pan's Labyrinth' did not win Best Foreign Film - after seeing this today, I can recommend it highly. However, as i have not seen the other films (or the winner) guess I have nothing to compare it too. Anyway, the whole thing is over and done with again - and i think that next year, I may just wait to see the results the next morning. There's only so much self-congratulatory Hollywood guff that can be digested in one evening.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home