Sunday, February 04, 2007

From Court to Diamond

So, the day of the play offs arrived and with it, the knowledge that if we won our match, we would be playing in the final two hours later and if we lost, then i would be hurrying out to Mount Pleasant to take part in the Biochemistry team's first intramural Softball game. Suffice to say, it was going to be a tiring day whatever happened. And as expected, the other team turned out to be rather too good for us to prevail. I would've been happy to take them to a third game but as it happened, even that was expecting too much for us. They were quite simply just to good. On that note, I have to say that I think it's extremely pathetic on their part - here are a team where all 6 players clearly had college experience volleyball where the two girls were much better than any of us, and the four guys were beyond them. Why on earth they were playing in the Non-competitive league is beyond me - other than the fact that they must have just wanted to win. I mean, what's the point? Of the nine teams in the league, seven were all of a similar level, and two (that ended up in the final, quelle surprise) were just streets ahead. It really sucks all the fun out of the game when you have a team like that - and then they start getting really picky and accusing us of being dishonest about things. I mean, give me a break!!!

Anyway, rant over, and with losing the game, it was off to Mount Pleasant and the softball. As with last year, I was team pitcher and was surprised by how much i could actually remember about doing good pitches. I managed to strike one person out and also did some good runs and throws to get a couple of people out at first base. Of course, all this would've been for nought if we couldn't score runs ourselves and again I surprised myself by actually hitting the ball pretty damn far. I was so stunned that I momentarily forgot I had to run, but still ended up on second base afterwards - and was bought home by the next hitter. Good stuff all round. However, we ended up tying the game - despite the fact that the opposition had an illegal team (we just wanted to play but they didn't have the correct amount of players or some such thing) and AGAIN were being really picky about certain rules. What is it with all these double standards?!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home