Sunday, February 11, 2007

Soundalike

Some of you may remember that way way back in my Blogging history (around post 120 or so - feel free to go and check, cause i'm not going to !), I mentioned the peculiarity of seeing people in Charleston who were doppelgangers for people that I know back home. I' m sure that i'm not the only person in the world for who this has happened but there it is. However, more recently, i have encountered a new twist on this phenomenon (again, i'm sure others have felt this too) whereby I have met people who are entirely dissimilar in appearance to friends of mine but when they start speaking, i have to do a double take (almost) as their voices are exactly the same. Now you may think i'm being crazy (it's plausible, I grant you) or that my ears are just in need of a good waxing (less plausible, but still) but i kid you not. I also add as credentials for my superior ears the fact that i can play the violin, and have been involved in a lot of musical groups during my childhood and school years - thus, i like to think that i have a good pair of ears (even if they sometimes do look like satellite dishes on the side of my head).

I guess it's just one of those things really - but i still find it un-nerving nonetheless. The other night I was at a friend's house with a few other people and i had to put up with three such cases at the same time. The friend in question sounds exactly like my friend Tracey from Oxford (how someone from Sedgefield and South Carolina can sound so alike is beyond me, but there you go). Of the other people present, one sounded very much like my friend Michael (also from Sedgefield, and a friend of both myself and Tracey), and to make it even more strange, another person sounded like our mutual friend Emma (whose wedding we all attended last August). Now, meeting three such people at once is strange enough, but the fact that they all sound like people who are all friends with each other and me. Bizarre indeed. Rest assured, if I find out that there was some mysterious planetary alignment (like a Syzygy - see 'The X-Files' for details) or what-have-you the other day, i would not bat an eyelid.

Labels: , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home