Friday, August 18, 2006

Day 20-22: All Around Me Are Familiar Places....

With my final train journey over and done with, it's back to Manchester - my home for the past 8 years prior to moving to Charleston, so a place that i am both familiar and comfortable with. The feeling is somewhat strange - a number of places are the same, yet a number of places are different. A visit to my old lab yesterday meant going to a completely new (and very impressive) building - yet despite that, speaking to my old bosses was both familiar and like old times (i spoke with them both for a good three hours altogether). It was very nice to see them both, and i felt quite pleased with myself that they hadn't got a postdoc to replace me yet (albeit for various reasons beyond their control - but, hey, do i need an excuse to be pleased with myself??).

The remaining time in Manchester has been taken up spending time with some old friends - ones who i miss a great deal and who i enjoyed their company immensely. Of course, British tradition dictates that this will, naturally, involve alcoholic beverages of some kind. Suffice to say, my liver is going to be given a well-earned break when i get back to US shores - a prolonged detox indeed. With my last night ahead of me, i guess i should try and make the most of it whilst i can (indeed, i shall!) but there is now a small part of me that is looking forward to going back to Charleston and getting back to work (how sad does that sound?!). However, given that it will be a little over a year again till i'm back on UK soil again, it's going to be quite a wrench for me to leave all over again. However, with the prospect of visitors in the near future, i should get by. So this is likely my last post from England. From Manchester and until Charleston, i bid you farewell.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home