Saturday, July 29, 2006

Day 2: First Impressions

As with when i first arrived in the US, the main things that you notice are the small little things of everyday life. For example, the fact that the prices you see everywhere are the prices you pay - I was in shops with more than enough needed to pay for what i was buying, a carry over from the Sales tax additions in the US. Of course, everyone seems to be happy when in the pub (what with arriving on the Friday, it was obviously a day when a LOT of people are gonna be there). Indeed, my US friends asked me what i was gonna do back here and a lot of it seemed to revolve around parties and drinking. Ah, the British! Having said that, I was arriving at bars with my ID in hand having forgotten that it wasn't so much an issue here - at least if you were OBVIOUSLY above age.

Of course there are the downsides as well to a degree. The people here can be just as rude (if not more so). When out last night, a friend I was with accidentally bumped someone on Canal Street resulting in us having a drink thrown over us (my friend wasn't happy! She got right into it!) from behind. I mean, the street was RAMMED with people, you would've thought they would expect it. Other than that, the money changeover was smooth (i don't even bother to convert it back to dollars!) and the countryside is just unmistakeably British. In short, it's good to be home!

2 Comments:

At 9:37 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

This blessed plot, this earth, this realm, this England.
Enjoy, enjoy......

 
At 4:20 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Got 'right into it' was one way of putting it. I scared the fella half to death. Last time he throws a drink on me and my friends. Lol

Love L xx

 

Post a Comment

<< Home