Friday, May 26, 2006

Splendid Sushi

Always one to try something new, I was invited out for sushi with a couple of workmates (one Japanese) and, having never had proper sushi before (I tried some once at a party but it all cooked 'sushi'), i figured what the hell and so accepted. The place in question - called Oriental Garden and located out in Mount Pleasant - had a high recommendation by my friends - so i figured that if the sushi was that good, then better to go there than have some sub-standard stuff elsewhere. Despite looking a bit like a dive on the outside (it was formerly a KFC), the restaurant was pleasant enough and the staff were friendly. I was a bit hesitant at first - the thought of raw fish was enough to make my stomach churn - but i set that aside and, quite frankly, the sushi was bloody fantastic.

I had been advised to opt for safe options at first - and so ordered some tuna and salmon, but threw a bit of caution to the wind and got some mackerel as well (it tastes like tuna. At least out of the tin). However, the best thing about it all is that if you're in a group (there were 5 of us) then everyone can order various things and you can try all of it if you wish. Thus, I also managed to get some eel, and shrimp as well. And it was all very very good (although even my sushi-loving workmate was hesitant to try the mackerel as it still had the skin on). My japanese colleague also gave it the thumbs up - and said it was some of the best he'd had in Charleston. Let's mark this as a place to go for anyone visiting. And i shall definitely be looking out for sushi in the future.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home