Sunday, April 23, 2006

There and Back

One thing that struck me on this trip to Canada was the amazing double-standards…er…difference between Border Control with the US and Canada. On the way out to Ottawa, the security checks seemed minimal at both Charleston and Newark airports – with a cursory swab test (on the luggage, I should add) carried out at the point of origin. The Immigration service at Ottawa took me all of 2 minutes to get through – I was very surprised: from landing to baggage to Immigration and customs took me all of 5-10 minutes.

Contrast this to the return flight. When I was booking in, I was told that I may experience some hassle as, apparently, my name came up as one of those flagged as being troublesome (or something). The desk guy smiled and said it was the curse of having a common name (I was busy wondering if he thought I would fly across the desk and attack him or something). My suitcase (as with everyone) was x-rayed before loading on to the plane – and even opened and searched as, apparently, the shampoo bottle in there may have possibly looked like something vaguely suspicious (a bomb? A hand grenade? A bag of ricin? Your guess is as good as mine). After that, I had a metal detector wand vigorously waved over me (I’m surprised they didn’t stick it where the sun doesn’t shine) and then the absolute joy of being patted down by a (rather sweaty) security guard. Whilst this was going on, my coat, shoes and laptop etc. were x-rayed (as everyone’s) and then I watched as it was searched by staff (I was ‘randomly’ selected). I didn’t object to this – why should I? I had nothing to hide – but what made it somewhat ridiculous is that the security staff missed blatantly visible pockets and such in both my laptop case AND my jacket – it certainly made me wonder if a courteous attitude and pleasant nature were all that were needed to get you through. Anyway, total time of passing through US Border control and customs (at Ottawa, mind you) – about 30 minutes. Would you believe it? In this post-9/11 age – I think so.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home