Thursday, October 13, 2005

Driving (Up the Wall)

With it being a few weeks since i had such fun with the Social Security office, I decided that i had being missing out on the general uselessness of government administration and so armed myself with paperwork galore and ventured out to North Charleston to the Driver's office (thanks to Youssef for the ride). Anyway, having been told to take my passport, visa, I94, DS2019, letter from the university and some kind of letter with my household address, i managed to gather it all togther and off we went. After taking a brief detour because the building is so ridiculously small and not at all well signposted, we pulled up. Bracing ourselves for the expected long queues, it was something of a pleasant surprise to find that it was virtually non-existent. After having all my paperwork checked over, i was given a form and told to fill it in. I'd barely sat down when i'd been called up to the counter. And ran straight into something of a brick wall.

I sat at the counter filling in the form reaching the section - Social security number. Having not memorised this yet, i had to make a quick call back to the lab to get it but all was sorted and ready. Except they then decided to tell me that i actually needed the "card" (flimsy bit of paper) with the number on. Cue lots of hair tearing, and general cursing from me. The most stupid thing in all this is that, when you get the card from the Social Office, they tell you not to carry it on you!!! So, have to go out there next week with all my paperwork, sit the written test and then take the practical test which, apparently, they fail everyone on once just to make certain you know that SC means business!! Or something. Looks like i'll be going crazy for the near future at least.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home