Sunday, October 09, 2005

Dated

Notching up something like the fifteenth week on my belt now in the US (I've lost count and can't be bothered to work it out) means that i'm becoming accustomed to both the people and the place. Whilst this may make for less interesting stories on the Blog here, fear not - those of you that know me will appreciate that i can stir up any situation at the drop of a hat. Anyway, what is a bit unusual now is that when i think of certain things done differently in the UK than here, my brain is now firmly switched on to US mode. Take, for example, the whole date situation.

Now, some of you may know (i hope most people reading) that the US right the date as Month/Day/Year - hence 9/11 - instead of Day/Month/Year as is usually done in the UK (does anyone know different either in the US or UK?). The reason i was given for this when i wondered aloud was that most people would write the date as, for example, October 9th if they were using words and so 10/09/05 follows on from that. But then i've always written dates as 9th October be it in number or words. It was somemthing of a surprise to me when i found myself writing the dates on some cell cultures today to find that writing them as 9/10 had me thinking that it was September. I had to stop and think about it for a few seconds before i realised that i was correct. Weird, huh? Of course, the reason for me announcing this on here is as an excuse for when i miss people's birthdays through getting the dates mixed up. Speaking of, recent Happy Birthday's to Lucy (19 Sept, i think) and Wendy (3rd October, i think!).

1 Comments:

At 9:52 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi Chris,
Just don't get me started on the date thing. To me it is obvious why it would be day/month/year. It is the same with an address you start with the name/house number/street/city/county. You wouldn't put county/street/city/house number.

Lucy

p.s. you're the only one that remembered my birthday!!! Not to make the others feel guilty at all, but they should!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home