Wednesday, September 21, 2005

Assimilation

Having now been here for twelve weeks, i've pretty much managed to get around to calling most people back over there in the UK - except those who i don't have a landline number for (and before anyone asks, this has been primarily through work phones - i still haven't got around to getting a landline yet. I will soon. Honestly!!). This has been very pleasant for me - and has helped me stave off any homesickness. However, the most worrying thing to date has occured when three of the friends/family have spoken to have told me that i've developed an American twang already. Now, I'm not a person to over-react but I have since been praying fervently that this is not the case.

Most of you probably now that my accent is reasonably indistinct - such that people from the North often say i'm from the South and vice versa. Sure, the occasional Yorkshire word or two will appear from time to time but thats about it. I've also managed to live for a few years in Manchester, and a year in Liverpool (near enough) without picking up much of the local accent along the way. In short, i'm damned if i'm gonna start now. But then all my American friends tell me (without a hint of irony) that 'Resistance is Futile! So if you happen to see me when i'm back there next year, feel free to verbally abuse me if i start talking like something out of 'Deliverance'.

4 Comments:

At 5:30 AM, Blogger paperpete said...

Hmmm. The thing about having an American accent when you're not American is that, I'm reliably though confusingly informed, you get to sound Canadian. WTF?

 
At 6:29 PM, Blogger Chris Clarke said...

Hmmm. I'd rather sound canadian that like a good ol' Southern boy. Hanging on all those vowels means my conversations would take twice as long as normal.

 
At 6:12 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Chris! when you get your landline sorted, give us a call on
001 44 1296 330 612 (even kind enough to add the country code for you) do that we can hear and take the piss out of yer accent!

Ta

Sarah and Mark

 
At 6:39 PM, Blogger Chris Clarke said...

Sarah and Mark (and everyone else for that matter), Apologies for being slow with the landline - i may give you guys a call from the lab one day this coming week so be prepared. My Mum says that my accent hasn't changed but the words i use are 'more American' *shrugs*

 

Post a Comment

<< Home