Friday, September 09, 2005

Miracles

Despite having a very bad start to the week on Tuesday, things have overall generally picked up. Sure, some of my experiments are being right royal pains-in-the-arses (still not succumbed to saying asses just yet) but i'm at the point now where i know why they're being like that and, consequently, will hopefully be able to sort things out. This weeek, there have been two major occurences that, for me, are nothing short of miraculous given events in the past few weeks.

The first, is that my social security number FINALLY managed to arrive at my house. Not bad going, you have to admit, taking a little over nine weeks and involving multiple phone calls, e-mails and trips to the office. I had wondered if they would somehow lose my details again, given that they were moving to new premises a couple of days after i arrived, but i guess they managed to hang on to it. Of course, this now means i can move forward on various fronts - mainly getting a landline phone, and sorting out my driving licence so i can get round to buying/leasing a car. Watch this space on both issues.

The other miracle (for me anyway) is that the federal government finally acknowledged it's shortcomings in dealing with the aftermath of Hurricane Katrina and have agreed that it acted wholly inadequately. Since writing my post of a couple of days ago, many workmates (who, it seems, are as addicted to this blog as some of you lot) have remarked how shocked and disappointed they were with the government response. This is especially something to think about here given that we have Hurricane Ophelia lurking off the coast with a predicted course that will bring her pretty close to us here (before you all start worrying, let me point out that Ophelia is at most a strong tropical storm/force 1 hurricane right now. Katrina was force 5). Still, 2 in one week is pretty good going, you think>

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home