Saturday, August 20, 2005

Carded

Having managed to sort out an American bank account with relative ease (unlike getting my social security number - seven weeks and counting now. And no reply to the e-mail i sent, or answering of the phone. Bloody idiots!), i've put my British bank cards into (temporary) retirement - luckily for me, cause i was very weary of the accusative looks when handing over a bank card that they hadn't seen before. The number of times I was asked to type in my pin number as well - despite me mentioning the fact it was international and so not likely to work that way....hell, you'd think the accent would've been a clear hint (unless i'm developing a US twang already, God forbid!). Anyway, i now have the luxury of being able to use my American bank card wherever i go. And i've found myself, already, becoming very American in that respect.

Being from Yorkshire, I was very much bought up on using cash wherever possible - and debit cards for larger amounts, but again only if i had the money in the account. As most of my friends and family could tell you, i'm generally pretty carreful where money is concerned - always have been and probably always will be. I just hate the thought of being stuck. Anyway, over here, transactions tend to be nearly all carried out by bank card, be they big or small. This is, in part, cause there aren't huge numbers of cash machines about the place (unlike in the UK) and most of these charge you to use them anyway. It's becoming something of a habit of mine now, to pay by card also. Generally, i can see the point of view - it's quick, easy and convenient. The only worry, for me, is that it can become very easy to lose track of how much you've spent. Still, with the exchange rate as it is, i'm usually smiling all the way to the bank.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home