Tuesday, June 28, 2005

How are y'all doing?

Well, hello there from the Eastern Seaboard of the USA. It's my second full day in Charleston and already i'm in the lab - is that a surprise or what? I told you they'd work me hard here. Anyway, had a meeting with my boss - Prof. Yusuf Hannun (http://www.musc.edu/BCMB/facultypages/hannun.htm) - to discuss my arrival, what the position entails and potential research areas that are active in the lab right now. We have begun the process of developing a project for me to do - as i thought, it's likely going to involve latching on to someone else's work and then taking it in my own unique direction. Have a list of people to chat to (this afternoon probably) and am then going to be doing reading for a time i suspect. Will be pretty limited stuff until i can get my ID card and have attended the orientation (next Tuesday - July 5th). So, i'm here in one piece and enjoying myself so far. The jet lag wasn't bad at all - i find it never is when you fly west, much worse when you fly east. Surprisingly, some of my colleagues here find it the other way round - again, i guess its what you're used to. So, it's busy, busy, busy.

So, how is Charleston? As I remember, its very pretty but very humid. The heat hits you like a steam train and i have been assured by many people that I will NEVER fully get used to it - for all those that are planning on visiting, the height of summer may not be the best for you - although i have also been assured that this is not yet the height of summer. Joy! However, would you believe, its been thundery showers here for the past couple of days. Major difference - the rain is nice and warm as opposed to freezing cold, which has its pluses. But if you think that Britain can't handle a bit of rain, you haven't seen anything yet. An hour of rain and the roads are flooding - the drainage system must be victorian. Which will be fun for me when i have to cross it in ten minutes to go for a meeting (International office introductory guff). I knew i should have packed that canoe!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home