Thursday, November 09, 2006

The Boathouse

As my quest to continue exploring the restaurants of Charleston goes on, I have been somewhat aided in the last week or two (or three) by having had the chance to take prospective postdoctoral candidates (for work) out for dinner. Of course, the added bonus of this is that it is paid for by the department (which ALWAYS makes food taste better). Anyhow, this time, I let my friend and colleague Kaz choose where to go and he decided on The Boathouse - one of a small chain of restaurants (there are three in total) of which two are located in Charleston. Having somewhat vague memories of this being a place that i was going to be taken to for my own interview, but having never made it here (it was the Superbowl on that day), I jumped at the chance. After all, with the combination of seafood and Charleston, you can't go far wrong.

Suffice to say, the food was pretty damn good - and the portions weren't unreasonable so dessert, for once, was not required. I ended up having atlantic salmon, grilled, in a thyme coating. This came with a risotto of some kind (I forget, but it was yum!) and i ordered some smoked Gouda macaroni and cheese on the side (one word - divine!). All this after starters of fried green tomatoes (how southern!), crab fritters and portabello fries (huge mushrooms covered in a light batter with horseradish sauce). We were, quite frankly, all stuffed to the gills. And the added bonus, at least for me, was the fact that they have Old Speckled Hen on draught. Now whilst this may not be my favourite english pint, it's a pretty good one and draught beer beats bottled virtually any day of the week (Wednesdays may be the exception to that). All in all, a great experience - and the waiting staff were very friendly (if a little absent minded here and there). The prices were also reasonable. In short, somewhere i may be taking visitors. If any more come my way that is!

1 Comments:

At 7:48 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

ok son,we'll give it a try in Jan 07,when I'm across there.

Dad xx

 

Post a Comment

<< Home