Thursday, March 02, 2006

Lab Meeting

Having been in the lab here for a little over 8 months now (scary how fast it has gone), I finally got round to giving my first lab meeting. This is a weekly event on a Thursday morning (apart from when the schedules of the bosses don't allow it) when the lab of my group (The Hannun lab) and that of his wife and collaborator (The Obeid lab) come together. Someone is pre-chosten to present their data - usually their recent findings - and the group discusses, offers suggestions etc. etc. in a very informal atmosphere. This is also a way for us all to find out what other researchers are doing - there are a number of different projects and offshoots going on the lab so there are also possibilites of getting some cross-project experiments going to. The best thing about these lab meetings, of course, is that someone is chosen every week to buy breakfast for the group.

Anyway, suffice to say, my meeting went pretty well - i was happy with it. There was some good discussion - albeit on a project that isn't my main one any more (and has really been taken over by someone else). It actually finished on time (this is pretty rare) and gave me enough time to have a long chat with my boss afterwards (although i was feeling a bit brain dead at this point so can't remember a lot). He said he was very pleased with the work i've done to date. Of course, the main thing now is to build on what i've done. I have roughly 7 months to do this - my next lab meeting is the beginning of October. Looks like its gonna be busy!!!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home