Wednesday, August 03, 2005

Gym

After putting off the inevitable for as long as humanly possible, i finally gave it to my inner health freak today and hauled my sorry backside to the gym. Have joined the MUSC University gym for two main reasons. The first is that i get it cheaper as staff at the university ($300 for a year - about 166 pounds which is good in my book). And also cause it's right opposite my building. This is especially handy as, like today, i had a two hour incubation in the lab so nipped over the road, worked out and then back over again, with plenty of time to spare. Of course, the fact that i probably won't be able to move my arms and chest very much tomorrow is par for the course - i guess its my own fault for stopping going for a couple of months.

Anyway, the gym itself is very good indeed. They have a large range of weights and machines - although annoyingly the weight plates are in kg but the dumbells are in pounds and so i spent some time doing conversions in my head. Also, as it was the middle of the day, it was pretty quiet - but not too quiet so there were people around to spot me if i needed. After a 45 min weights session, it was off to the other end of the building and the cardio stuff. They have both an indoor and outdoor running track (who would run outdoors is beyond me) and so i did a few laps (indoors). Weird thing is that, at one end of the track, the sun shines through the windows whereas at the other, there's plenty of fans and cool air so you end up doing a rather lopsided lap running fast out of the heat and slow in the cool air. So, exercise done, i feel much better for it now. As for tomorrow, well that's another story.

1 Comments:

At 9:29 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi Christopher- just to let you know I have read all your diary pages to The Gym. Rob made it plain that he got really fed up spending loads of time on his website, and getting minimal response from folk. (I think I won the prize for best correspondent, but then, that's what Mothers are for!) I think that you may have the same experience, so I thought I should do my bit. Already I am getting a good picture of your experiences, and its really lovely to see the USA from 'our own correspondent'! It sounds as if you have a well deserved position in a civilised spot, and there will be lots of creative opportunities. You hit the mark with the Simpsons analogy, and whenever you get too serious, think of Bart, ( Rob's role model, for many a year!)

Speaking of Rob, I remain very sad, and concerned for him and Han-its hard to think of one without the other.

Andy and Georgia are up in Scotland for two weeks, and I think move down from Fort William on Sat to be near to Edinburgh for the Festival.

Must flog on now, but have fun! Lots of love,
Julie, ur othermotherXXXXXXXXXXXXXX

 

Post a Comment

<< Home