Friday, January 25, 2008

Conversation Piece...

Picture, if you will, a busy 'Subway' in downtown Charleston and me, quite frankly, starving as i stand in the queue waiting to be served. There is obviously quite a line as it's a busy restaurant and there aren't too many staff on hand. But still, the queue is moving reasonably. I get to the start of the counter and ask for a foot-long Club sandwich (told you i was hungry) and then shuffle slowly along to to the vegetable part of the whole process.

Server: Lettuce, Tomato? (pronounced 'Tom-ay-to' of course)

Me: Yes. Lettuce, tomato, green pepper please.

Server (having not added tomato): What else?

Me: Tomato as well please.

Server: Mustard only?

Me: Excuse me? No. No mustard. But i'd like tomato as well please.

Server slides sandwich along to co-worker: Mustard only.

Me: No, no, no, no!!

Voila, a large dollop of mustard gets added, i promptly bang my head again the glass counter. Okay, not really. I pointed out the error and the first Server insisted that i had asked for Mustard Only, but the sandwich was remade and all was well and done. After being here for two and a half plus years now, i had grown accustomed to my accent being misheard, but this is the first it has happened in some time. I guess it was a combination of the noise, and how busy the place was, added to my insistence on saying 'Tom-ah-to' that confused matters. But how Tomato sounds like mustard only? Well, your guess is as good as mine. Thankfully, i got my sandwich and that was all that mattered.

Labels: ,

2 Comments:

At 12:11 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Accents always fascinate me, and I'm sure I'd love yours...but I've yet to hear one in which tomato and mustard could possibly be confused, particularly when the mis-heard word is repeated.

Maybe the person behind the counter listens to his iPod a little too loudly. :)

 
At 1:53 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

It reminds me of a road trip I took when I was first here almost ten years ago now.

We were driving up I-95 and stopped to get gas somewhere around Fayeteville.

I asked for a sandwich with lettuce in, and the (very country) girl couldn't understand my accent at all, and we were getting frustrated at each other.

Finally I called my wife across, who was wandering around the store, and told her what I wanted.

She looked at the girl and said "He wants lettuce".

"Oh lettuce..."

Go figure....

 

Post a Comment

<< Home