Monday, January 02, 2006

2005: A Retrospective

Usually around the start of the New Year I allow myself a few minutes to look back at the events of the year just gone and take stock - see where i was, see what's happened and, on occasion, mull over what might have been as well. For me, 2005 was a big year. At this time last year, i was just readying myself to, as my PhD supervisor said, 'thud' my competed thesis on to her desk. I was still working at Brannigans (a bar in Manchester) and was preparing for a trip to the US in the February (to visit the lab where i now work). And where am i now? Well, living and working in the US (for over six months now) as a postdoctoral fellow. So a couple of major changes indeed. But this was also a big year for many people i know as well.

There's been weddings (Radhika and Marco, Judith and Dave), births (baby Ewan to Fiona and Pete - thanks muchly for the photo in the Christmas card - he is sooooo cute!), other friends have graduated (Danielle - before me, i should add, Radhika, Sylwia, Lucy, Steph) and have all found jobs pretty quickly too. On the negative side of things there has also been illness (most recently my stepfather who is thankfully on the road to recovery) and i have found it quite tough to be supportive from so far away. There have also been separations as well - some unsurprising but a couple very much out of left field. I think for a lot of people i know (and, i guess for me as well) there has been some event (both small and big) that will probably make this year stand out for them. I guess that if i had to sum up 2005 as a year in a single theme or word, it would probably be: CHANGE. So here's hoping that 2006 will be a smoother ride - for everyone.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home