Sunday, December 04, 2005

A Wealth of Weddings

As I start nosying around for flights for my return trip to the UK next July (I know it's early but time is flying by as usual), i had time to reflect on what i want to do when i get back there. Of course, chief of the list is attending the weddings of friends of mine - the main reason for having a return trip then (and not Christmas) is that it coincided with a wedding on the 30th July. Happily, for me, another friend is getting married on August 12th next year and, as this is in my time frame, it means i can go to both. Then it hit me that i seem to be at that time of life when a lot of friends and relatives around my own age are getting hitched - Manchester friends Judith and Dave are getting married in a week or two (i hope everything goes off without a hitch, so to speak, guys - sorry i can't be there), then there's the two weddings next year, one of my (many) cousins is getting married the January after, and then my brother in Summer 2007 - the main reason for my trip back to the UK the next year (seems my annual trips are destined to circulate around weddings). When i add this to the four or five weddings that i have attended in the past couple of years, it seems that the apparent trend in decreased marriage is certainly not evident in my circles - only everyone is getting hitched but me!

However, as of today (I believe) this may all change, at least in the UK. As of today, same sex couples were allowed to register relationships as a civil partnership - which legally entitles them to similar (not quite identical) rights as married couples - importantly, next of kin rights in hospitals, and legislation on what happens if a person dies without a will. Whilst it has stressed that it does not represent a marriage, the wording seems to suggest that it is as close as can be possible - and the agreement can even be annulled in a 'divorce' if necessary. Of course, same sex marriages are legal in other parts of Europe - Holland for example (but then the Dutch have always been relaxed on such matters). However, over here there is still lots of wrangling going on - some states accept same sex 'marriages' whereas others don't - and there is still lots of debate going on between senate, congress and the states themselves. I shall be watching it all with great interest.

2 Comments:

At 8:23 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Don't worry Chris, I'm a long way off from getting married. I think I may just end up a lonely spinster!!

 
At 1:25 PM, Blogger Chris Clarke said...

I doubt that'll happen, Lucy.

Just in case, we should arrange to get married to each other if we hit 40 and are single.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home