Wednesday, July 20, 2005

Mistaken identities

As you're probably aware from some of the previous entries on here (assuming you've read them of course), it's not unfair to say that a lot of Americans often don't look beyond their own borders - or sometimes their own statelines. Consistent with this view, i was reading in the local paper that quite a significant number of Americans can't speak a foreign language and, as i've alluded to already, only a fraction (15-25% i think) have a passport. It hardly seems surprising then, when i mention that this post is not so much about mistaken IDENTITY, more mistaken NATIONALITY (the former title sounded snappier). Of course, there are the obligatory "are you from Eng-er-land?" cries that pop up frequently. But there are also the stab-in-the-dark guesses as to where you hail from - as you're obviously not American. I think, perhaps, that my generally quite neutral accent (as UK accents go) doesn't help much. When i came here in February (to visit the lab) I was asked if I was German despite the fact that i'd spoken to this person for some time before they asked - perhaps it was the glasses.

The reason, i think, that the Americans have a difficult time in placing accents, apart from the fact that they've probably not heard most of them, is that they would have to go some considerable distance to hear any difference in their own accent. Compare this with the UK, where often an hour's journey in any direction would yield vast changes in accent and colloquiolisms. Example - one hour west (roughly) from Manchester, you have Wales and Liverpool. One hour East - Leeds. An hour south - getting on for Birmingham and an hour North - you're into Cumbria territory. the fact that we have such a kitchen sink of accents, in my view, helps us when it comes to placing other accents. And the reason for this post today? I just got back from lunch where the waitress asked me where i was from. I said "the UK" and then a few moments later she asked me if i spoke Ukrainean. I smiled and replied "Only if i took lessons.' I don't think she got it.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home